May 2, 2018
This amazing dish is one you can prepare the night before and bake the next morning. Our family has done this for Christmas morning for years.
- 1. 1 pound pork or turkey sausage
- 2. 6 slices white, or whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3. 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4. 6 eggs beaten
- 5. 2 cups milk
- 6. 1 teaspoon salt
- 7. 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 8. 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 9. 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
- 10. 1 or 2 dashes of ground cayenne or crushed red pepper
- Step 1 Brown sausage and drain well. Spread bread cubes in a well-buttered casserole dish and top with cheese and sausage.
- Step 2 In a medium mixing bowl, combine salt, mustard, black pepper, sage, and red pepper. Mix well. Slowly add mixture to beaten eggs, add milk, and beat until well mixed.
- Step 3 Pour over ingredients in casserole dish.
- Step 4 Refrigerate overnight in the covered dish.
- Step 5 Remove and bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.