Brethren's Cheese Bread
May 25, 2018
An excellent addition to any soup or comfort meal.
- 1. 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 2. 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3. 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4. 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5. 1/4 cup butter, cut into 4 parts
- 6. 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 7. 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 8. 3/4 cup milk
- 9. 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Step 2 Sift flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Step 3 Combine milk and beaten egg, into flour mixture. Stir quickly until flour mixture is moistened.
- Step 4 Place dough into greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes until a pick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Step 5 Allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. The cool on a wire rack the remaining time.