April 30, 2018
A remarkable dish that that screams spring.
- 1. /2 cup unsalted butter
- 2. 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3. 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6. 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 7. 1/2 cup milk
- 8. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9. 1 baked pie shell (9-inch)
- 10.1 teaspoon honey
- 11. 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Step 1 The Filling: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it begins to brown. Stir in the brown sugar. Add 1 1/2 cups hot water and whisk until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook for 2 more minutes, remove from heat, and set aside. Combine cornstarch, flour, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup each heavy cream and milk until smooth and pour into the butter mixture. Whisk Continuously, over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Lightly beat the egg yolks together in a medium bowl. Stream in 1/2 cup of the hot mixture while whisking in the egg yolk
- Step 2 Whisk the egg mixture with the milk mixture in the saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat strain through a fine sieve, and stir in the vanilla. Pour into baked pie shell and chill until set.
- Step 3 Making the Cream topping:
- Step 4 Beat the remaining cup of heavy cream with the honey and confectioners’ sugar to stiff peaks. Spread over the cooled pie and chill until ready to serve.