April 30, 2018
A delicious snack made famous at New Orleans' Cafe Du Monde
- 1. 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2. 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3. 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4. 2 large eggs, separated
- 5. 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6. 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 7. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8. vegetable oil, for frying
- 9. powdered sugar, for dusting
- Step 1 In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, 1/4 cup water, melted butter, and vanilla, and stir to combine. Fold in dry ingredients until just combined. I
- Step 2 In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form, then fold into batter.
- Step 3 In a large pot, heat oil to 375 degrees. Drop small spoonfuls of batter into hot oil and fry until golden, about 5 minutes. (You will want to keep the oil at 375 to make sure they cook all the way through.) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.