Fig & Scotch-Sauced Chicken Kabobs
April 28, 2018
Nice light chicken meal for hot weather. Change figs for any other sweet fruit, or add vegetables to enhance the flavor.
- 1. 4 small onions divided
- 2. 1 cup olive oil
- 3. 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4. 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5. 1 pounds dried figs
- 6. 2 cups Macallan Scotch
- 7. 4 1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 8. 4 tablespoons fig preserves
- 9. 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10. 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 11. 1 pound small fresh portobello mushrooms
- 12. Hot cooked Basmati rice
- 13. 4 lemons cut into wedges
- Step 1 Grate two onions and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the oil, chicken, and garlic. Seal bag and turn to coat, refrigerate for 8 hours overnight.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring figs and scotch to a boil. Reduce and simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until figs are plumped and tender. Remove figs and keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil and cook until reduced to 2/3 cup. Add the marmalade, preserves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Step 3 Cut remaining onion into 1-inch pieces. Drain chicken and discard marinade. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken, onion, and mushrooms.
- Step 4 Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-inches from the heat for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally.
- Step 5 Serve kabobs with rice and reserved figs. Drizzle with sauce. Garnish with mint and lemon