Fried Cornbread aka Hoe Cakes
May 24, 2018
Superlative side dish for anything from pinto beans to soup
- 1. 2 cups cornmeal
- 2. 1 cup buttermilk (can add more to reach the desired consistency)
- 3. 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4. 1/2 tablespoon Crisco
- 5. 1 large egg
- 6. pinch of cayenne pepper
- Step 1 In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and blend well. The mixture should be thick but pliable.
- Step 2 In a large skillet. heat oil to smoking. Using a large spoon, place batter in oil. Fry on both sides about 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.