Maple Bourbon Chicken & Waffle Sandwich
April 30, 2018
Fantastic Brunch sandwich and goes well with Mimosa's
- For the Waffles:
- 1. 3 large eggs, separated
- 2. 2 boxes Jiffy's cornbread mix
- 3. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4. 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 5. 1 cup milk
- 6. 2 tablespoons honey
- 7. 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- For the Fried Chicken:
- 8. 1 pound chicken cutlets, sliced in half
- 9. 1 cup buttermilk
- 10. 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 11. 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12. 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 13. 1 teaspoon paprika
- 14 Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 vegetable oil for frying
- For the Maple Bourbon Syrup
- 16. 2-ounces bourbon
- 17. 8-ounces pure maple syrup
- 18. 3 tablespoons butter
- Step 1 Making the Waffles:
- Step 2 Preheat a waffle iron. Whisk egg whites to soft peaks and set aside. Whisk all other waffle ingredients together and fold in egg whites. Depending on the size of your waffle iron, use a 1/3 to 1/2 cup measure to pour batter onto hot iron. Cook until crispy and brown.
- Step 3 Fry the Chicken:
- Step 4 In a bowl, marinate the chicken in buttermilk with a few dashes of hot sauce. In a separate bowl, mix flour with garlic powder, paprika, and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Dredge chicken in flour. In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 inch of oil and fry chicken cutlets. Once golden brown and cooked through, remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Step 6 Make the syrup: In a small saucepan, add bourbon and maple syrup. Heat over medium-high heat to burn off alcohol and reduce the liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Allow to cool to room temperature or slightly warm before serving.
- Step 7 Assemble the Sandwich:
- Step 8 Place a piece of fried chicken in between two waffles and top with bourbon sauce.