Not From A box Strawberry Cake
May 1, 2018
The perfect spring cake as the strawberries come into season
- 1. 1/2 cup butter
- 2. 2/3 cup water
- 3. 2/3 cup milk
- 4. 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 5. 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6. 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 7. 1 teaspoon salt
- 8. 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 9. 6 egg whites
- 10. 1 tablespoon almond flavoring
- 11. 1/2 cup shortening
- 12. 1 cup sugar
- 13. 1 cup chopped strawberries (fresh is better)
- Strawberry Glaze:
- 14. 2 1/4 cups unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 15. 1 cup sugar
- 16. 2 egg whites
- 17. dash of salt
- Step 1 Cream butter and shortening with mixer. Gradually add sugar and beat on medium speed. Combine water and milk, set aside. Combine all baking powder, flour, salt, and while alternating between flour and milk mixture, combine small amounts at a time with butter mixture. Stir in flavoring. Beat egg whites into stiff peaks and add to mixture. Add strawberries mixing well but gently.
- Step 2 Pour mixture into three greased and floured layer pans.
- Step 3 Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Step 4 Strawberry Glaze: Thaw strawberries and place in a strainer. Slightly mash and allow to drain. Measure 2/3 cup of strawberry pulp and combine with sugar, egg whites, and dash of salt. Place in top of double boiler and cook over high heat, mixing at the same time with a mixer at high speed for 6-7 minutes.
- Step 5 Spread over cooled cake.