April 30, 2018
The one dessert that every Georgian can make in their sleep. This delight is a dream come true when served piping hot with vanilla ice cream.
- 1. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2. 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3. 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5. 1 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
- 6. 1 teaspoon salt
- 7. 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8. 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 9. 2 1/4 pounds peaches
- 10. 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 11. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Step 1 Combine the flour, brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, ginger, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 3/4 cup cream to form a dough . Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Step 2 Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and the vanilla in a large bowl. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain half the liquid, and toss in the cornstarch. Transfer to a 10-inch round cast-iron skillet.
- Step 3 Heat the oven to 350 degrees. roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 1 1/2-inch rounds. Top the fruit mixture with the rounds without overlapping. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining1 tablespoon of cream and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.
- Step 4 Bake until golden brown and the fruit is bubbling in the center, about 25 minutes.
- Step 5 Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.