Red Velvet Cake
April 30, 2018
The red velvet cake is one of the best-known cakes in the South.
- For the Cake:
- 1. 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2. 1 cup sugar
- 3. 2 large eggs
- 4. 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5. 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6. 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 7. 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8. 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9. 1 cup buttermilk
- 10. 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 11. 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12. 3 (8 ounces) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 13. 6 cups powdered sugar
- 14. 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 15. 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Step 2 In another large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Add buttermilk, vinegar, and red food coloring, beating to combine. Add remaining dry ingredients.
- Step 3 Divide batter between the prepared cake pans and bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean 25-30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, making the frosting. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Add more powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, if necessary, until frosting is thick and a nice spreadable consistency.
- Step 5 Assemble Cake:
- Step 6 Using a serrated knife, level tops of cakes, reserving the scraps for decorating. Place one layer on cake stand or serving platter, then top with a thick layer of icing and second cake layer. Frosting top side of the cake. Crumble reserved cake pieces and press on sides of cake.