Completely Home Made Pecan Pie
April 30, 2018
A constant player in the holiday scene. Pecan pie is a staple for Thanksgiving and Christmas tables throughout the country.
- 1. 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2. 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3. 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4. 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5. 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6. 4 tablespoons ice water (more if needed)
- 7. cooking spray for pie dish
- 8. 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 9. 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 10. 1 cup corn syrup
- 11. 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 12. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 13. 3 large eggs, beaten
- 14. 2 cups pecan halves
- 15. vanilla ice cream for serving
- Step 1 Making the crust: Place flour and butter into the freezer for 30 minutes before starting the crust process
- Step 2 In a large food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until pea-sized and some slightly larger pieces form. With the machine running, add vinegar, then the ice water into the feed tube. 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough starts to come together and is moist but not wet and sticky. The mixture will be crumbly. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, form a ball, and flatten into a disk (making sure there are no/minimal cracks). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is very cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Step 3 Making the filling:
- Step 4 Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a 9X1 1/2-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-inch circle. Drape over pie dish and gently press to fit, making sure there are no air bubbles. Trim edge to 1-inch and tuck overhang under itself. With a fork, lightly prick bottom of the crust and decoratively score edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes or freeze 10 minutes. Line crust with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 10 minutes, then remove parchment and weights. reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Step 5 Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth and remove from heat. Whisk in corn syrup, vanilla, salt, and beaten eggs. Scatter pecan halves into pie crust and pour sugar mixture. Mix gently with a spoon to coat nuts and evenly disperse.
- Step 6 Lightly place foil over the top of the pie and bake 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake until filling is puffed, only slightly wobbly, and crust is golden, 35 minutes more.
- Step 7 Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Serve topped with vanilla ice cream.